Salary ~$50,000 + benefits
Reporting to the CEO, the Manager of Outreach Engagement is charged with planning, coordinating, and leading the museum’s offsite and online programming & events for audiences of all ages. This includes website construction and management, social media coordination, generating printed materials, curating online exhibits and curriculum, and ‘other duties as needed.’ At present, the museum’s public hours are limited, and creating an online presence and experience is critical. Over time, as the museum transitions from its current start-up phase, this position and its responsibilities will evolve. This position will work very closely and collaboratively with the Manager of Visitor Experiences.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Establishes and maintains the museum’s online presence and tone via the website
- Establishes and maintains the museum’s social media presence and character
- Collaborates with the Manager of Visitor Experiences in the design of online learning activities, including First Amendment curriculum units, podcast, news aggregator, etc, and leads the process to create, implement, and evaluate them.
- Designs and evaluates museum’s printed collateral for offsite use – brochures, calendars, donor materials, etc
- In collaboration with the Manager of Visitor Experiences, enhances, maintains, and schedules the deployment of the travelling exhibit.
- In collaboration with the Manager of Visitor Experiences, enhances, maintains, and schedules the continuation of the 1A Stories project.
- Assists in the development, implementation and coordination of the museum’s interpretive, community, and school programs
- Establishes assessment tools to evaluate online programs
- Serves as the museum’s point person for media relations
- Cultivates relationships with local educators, organizations, and museum peers
- Works with exhibition designers to assess and refine exhibit prototypes
- Participates in grant writing and fundraising activities as needed
- Pitches in to help with other projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) in a relevant field such as Communications, Media Arts & Design, or Museum Education and/or equivalent relevant work experience
- A passion for the mission of the First Amendment Museum
- Experience with some combination of web design, graphic design & exhibit design
- Experience with audio & video recording & editing
- Experience with social media management
- Ability to develop and manage projects & budgets
- A warm, open-minded, adaptable, collaborative temperament
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and well
- Willing and able to work occasional evening and weekend events as needed
The First Amendment Museum values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status protected by law.
ABOUT THE FIRST AMENDMENT MUSEUM
The First Amendment Museum is a relatively new, nonpartisan, non-profit 501(c) 3 concept museum whose mission is to examine the history and promote the practice and understanding of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The organization seeks to engage the citizens of our state and nation through programs, exhibitions, and a national partnership network that will engage new generations of Americans with the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment.
At the heart of this effort is the need to examine the First Amendment in a historical and contemporary, nonpartisan perspective. Increasingly, studies have found fewer and fewer Americans can name the five rights protected by the First Amendment and a recent poll found that 40 percent of Americans could not name even one of the five protected rights. The First Amendment Museum hopes to change this trend, and inspire all Americans to live and love their First Amendment freedoms.
The museum is led by newly-arrived CEO, Christian Cotz, who is known for creating collaborative working environments and appreciates out-of-the-box thinkers. Joining the small staff at FAM will provide the successful applicant the amazing opportunity to help build a museum from the ground up.
To Apply: email cover letter and resume in one pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org